Today's Paper
ePaper | Kashmir Uzma | kashmirink | kashmirink

A shutdown was observed in Qazigund and Devsar areas of Anantnag and Kulgam districts for the second day on Wednesday against the killing of three militants in a gunfight on Monday. 

Shops and other business establishments in Qazigund areas in Anantnag - Bonigam, Nusu Badragund, Vesu, Mir Bazar  as well as in Devsar area of Kugam remained closed  while the traffic movement of traffic also remained affected.

However, traffic on the Srinagar-Jammu highway plied normally today unlike in past two days when it had to be diverted through Verinag at Lower munda following protests and clashes.

A local militant Yawar alias Ayaan  of Hablish, Devsar was killed along with Pakistani militants Furqan and Maviya  in a gunfight that erupted after militants attacked an Army patrol on the Jammu-Srinagar highway in Boonigam area of Qazigund on Monday. The building where the militants had taken shelter was blown up by planting IEDS.

Police had listed him as category A + militant, while Furqan as category A++ and Maviya also category A+ and their killing is seen as the major jolt to Lashkar ranks. Furqan and Yawar were accused in Yatra bus attack in July in Batengoo this year that left nine pilgrims dead and dozen others injured.

Thousands had turned up in the last rites of Yawar.  Massive clashes had erupted during the encounter leaving many injured one with bullet. Even on Tuesday people took to streets in many Qazigund areas to protest the killing of militants following which forces used live ammunition.

A youth Manzoor Ahmad Wagay son of Gul Muhamad Wagay of Vesu was hit by a bullet in thigh and evacuated to district hospital Anantnag. Doctors said that he has been referred  to Bone and Joint hospital Srinagar. However, situation in the area today remain by and large peaceful with no incidents of stone pelting.The train service which was suspended on Monday resumed while the mobile internet service was also restored.