For the best experience, open
https://m.greaterkashmir.com
on your mobile browser.

2 children die of asphyxiation in Bandipora

The officials identified the siblings as Muneer Ahmad Chechi, 9, and Tanveer Ahmad Chechi, 10, who were residents of a nearby Malangam village.
12:17 AM Feb 22, 2024 IST | OWAIS FAROOQI
2 children die of asphyxiation in bandipora
Representational Image
Advertisement

Bandipora, Feb 21: Two minor siblings died of asphyxiation when they were asleep in a seminary in north Kashmir’s Bandipora district on Wednesday, Police said.

Advertisement
   

The officials identified the siblings as Muneer Ahmad Chechi, 9, and Tanveer Ahmad Chechi, 10, who were residents of a nearby Malangam village.

Advertisement

“Their father, Qasim Ahmad Chechi, who is in critical condition, was referred to SKIMS, Soura in Srinagar for advanced treatment,” Medical Superintendent of District Hospital Bandipora, Dr Sheikh Mushtaq said.

The children were staying with their father in a room of the Jamia Islamia Faiz-ul-Uloom seminary in Ashtengoo village.

Advertisement

Those responsible for running the affairs of the seminary said that Qasim worked as a cook for the seminary while his children, who lived with him, were also receiving Islamic teachings there.

Advertisement

They said that it was 7:30 am when they went to wake up Qasim Chechi as it was already late for the morning tea as he was not in the mess and had not been seen in the Masjid during Fajr prayers.

Advertisement

“There was no response after knocking on his door for several minutes,” they said. “After suspecting something fishy, we broke the windows and got in.”

Advertisement

A teacher at the seminary said, “After breaking in we saw the children were already dead and Chechi was unconscious and almost breathless.”

With the shocking news spreading in the village, men and women gathered near the seminary.

SHO of Police Station Aloosa, Rayees Ahmad, told Greater Kashmir that prima facie evidence suggests “death due to suffocation”.

He said that they had launched inquest proceedings in the case and further investigation was on.

The Police said information gathered via primary investigation and locals suggest that Chechi had made a fire in a cement mixing container and brought it inside the room for warmth last night.

With the room being non-ventilated, the children suffered asphyxiation and died, a Police official said.

He said that following medico-legal formalities, the bodies were handed to the family in Malangam.

Advertisement