Today's Paper
ePaper | Kashmir Uzma | kashmirink | kashmirink

A spontaneous shutdown was observed today in many parts of south Kashmir to mourn the killings of three militants and two civilians even as clashes also erupted at certain places.

Three Lashkar-e-Toiba militants were killed in an encounter with government forces in Arwani village of Anantnag district on Friday. Two civilians were also killed after forces opened fire on protesters marching towards the encounter site to help the militants escape.

A complete shutdown was observed in Kulgam district-  Kulgam town, Qaimoh, Yaripora as well Khudwani - the native place of deceased LeT militant commander Junaid Matoo and several area of Anantnag district including Arwani, and Bijbehara town.

Partial, shutdown was observed in Anantnag town amid minor clashes in few old town areas.

Complete shutdown was also observed in twin districts of Pulwama and Shopian- including towns of Pulwama, Shopian, Kakpora, Awantipora, Pampore and Tral.

Shops and other business establishments remained closed in the town while public transport is off the roads. Police and paramilitary forces were deployed in strength to thwart any attempts of protests.

No separatist or militant outfit had called for the strike today

People continued to throng houses of three deceased militants in Khudwani- Kulgam, Heff- Shopian and Pampore in huge numbers.

Meanwhile, forces allegedly ransacked dozens of houses and cars on Saturday evening after a group of youth threw stones on forces in Tral-i-Payeen.



Army on Sunday allegedly vandalized property and beat inmates following a stone-pelting incident on the conclusion of a cordon and search operation (CASO) in a village in Pahalgam area of Anantnag district in south Kashmir.

Police and army launched a search operation in Astan Mohalla - Wallerhama village- Danchnipora belt in the afternoon. However, the operation was soon called off after nothing was found, locals said.

Locals alleged that as the government forces were withdrawing after concluding the operation “some youth threw few stones on them following which the army men thrashed several persons and smashed windowpanes of houses and broke back glass of a parked car.

Army’s Srinagar-based PRO  Col Rajesh Kalia, however denied any such incident.

“Our men neither beat up any one nor ransacked property,” he said.


The government forces on Sunday allegedly thrashed civilians inside their houses in Bijbehara town of this South Kashmir district leaving 30 more including women injured.

Locals said that after militants carried attack on army on National Highway near Goriwan locality in the afternoon- the 90 Battalion paramilitary forces camped at the SICOP (J&K Small Scale Industries Development Corporation Limited) went berserk and barged into many houses in Karewa-Colony- Jablipora beat up the inmates and ransacking houses.

Earlier on Saturday- the CRPF men of the same camp had broken into  many house  in the same locality leaving ten people grievously injured.  

The forces action had come moments after there were reports of attack on the camp that however, was denied by police. The CRPF had however,  termed it stray firing incident with no reports of injuries.

The locals alleged that today again soon after the attack on army at Goriwan- the CRPF men came out of their camp and barged into their houses.

“They ruthlessly beat us up and ransacked property,” said the residents adding even women were not spared.

 At least 30 persons including women sustained serious assault injuries and were shifted to SDH Bibehara.

“We received around 30 assault injuries and most of them had fractured bones and  bruises on body parts ,” doctors said.

The people who were nursing injuries wished anonymity fearing reprisal from troopers.

CRPF spokesperson Rajesh Yadaw, feigned ignorance when asked about locals being thrashed but assured of looking into it.

“I have to check it since the camp falls in different sector. What I can say there was stray firing on the camp yesterday not towards CRPF Camp but army. But no one was injured,” Yadav said.

Commanding Officer (CO) 90  Battalion did not pick up the phone despite repeated attempts.

SSP Annatnag  Zubair Khan yesterday while denying any militant attack had admitted  that some people were beaten at the Karewa Colony after stones were thrown at them. However, today he was not available for comment.